[mythtv-users] Transcoding hardware recommendations

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Jan 21 20:33:30 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 11:05 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:34:09AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>> So if I go with something with this CPU:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234
>>
>> and a machine with 8 or 16GB of DDR3-1600 RAM I should be OK with
>> h.264 transcoding in near-real time?
>      I don't know if the extra memory would help or not. I suspect
> that it won't make any difference. The CPU should be fine though.
> I just kicked off a transcode of a BD (Elysium) on my i3-3220 and
> it was running at 31fps using a 2 logical cores.

I managed to get my hands on a i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz box. Transcoding
full HD file (1920x1080 at 30fps) into Roku-suitable h264 I'm getting about
8.5fps, and it's a dual core CPU, so it looks like a quad core machine
would be OK.

And you're right, the extra memory would not be useful; watching
HandBrake it's only using about 8% of the 8GB on this box.