[mythtv-users] Setting up/testing Hauppauge HVR-1100 composite/s-video input?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jan 20 13:23:34 UTC 2014

On 1/20/2014 7:56 AM, BIRD Neil wrote:
> a) Will MythTV actually be able to use this raw video input?  And a follow up: what, then, will it save on disc - will it do runtime MPEG compression or will I have to transcode it (preventing its use for LiveTV/immediate time-shifting?

MythTV can use it, but it will produce either RTJPEG or MPEG4ASP inside
a Nuppelvideo container, which if you ever want to use the file outside
of MythTV, is not something you want to have to deal with.  Since it's
not giving you a nice, clean MPEG2 stream, it's going to be a lot more
hassle to configure in MythTV

> b) Any idea how I can actually test the thing before I go the whole hog in setting up Myth on this new PC?  Would something like “cheese” work with it?  Or is there a way of telling mplayer the format of the data?

Try 'tvtime'.