[mythtv-users] OT: backing up miniDV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 20 02:52:09 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 08:44:27PM -0500, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> >> My goal is to create a backup disk that is playable on a standard blu-ray
> >> player.
> >> The primary location of the media will be a directory under mythtv that I
> >> can view and play from.
> >> I think the simplest approach is to capture the video on a Mac mini via
> >> firewire rather than Linux then...
> >
> >   If you are going to use a Mac, you certainly don't want to be feeding it
> >"alien" files. Macs aren't terribly good at doing that. You will get stuck
> >feeding your files through some other converter before Mac apps know what
> >to do with it.
>
> Pardon?  QuickTime and iMovie on OS X have been very comfortable at
> importing quite a few digital video formats since...well, nearly
> forever:

   Oh really? Then that's why iMovie failed spectacularly at dealing with
my own legacy DV and MPEG2 files and Quicktime supports nearly nothing out
of the box?

   That's the nice thing about having employed Minis as mythfrontends. It meant
that I could see how this stuff works for real. Bust the mystique completely.