[mythtv-users] Backend won't start - ipv6 issue?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sun Jan 19 20:49:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
> Thomas Mashos wrote:
>> Why would that only work until a reboot? He is puting
>>
>> echo net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
>
> It is my experience that making these changes from the command line do
> not persist on a reboot.
>
> Doug
>

> --
> Ben Franklin quote:
>
> "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I'm not even sure how to respond to that...

Lets assume that you aren't actually saying that making the change
from the command line doesn't persist though a reboot (which would be
foolish, since most linux installs are command line only). It sounds
like you think he ran a command that disabled IPv6. That is NOT what
he said. What he actually did was edit a config file and set the
disable option to true (which is what you told him to do, with a few
minor changes). After that, he started the service. I see no reason
why this wouldn't persist though a reboot.

Since you mentioned that in your experience doing it from the command
line doesn't persist though a reboot, I can only assume that you are
logging into some graphical environment as root and editing the file
in a graphical editor. What he did was the same thing, although he did
it all from the command line.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos