[mythtv-users] OT: backing up miniDV

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jan 19 17:14:41 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Phil Wild" <phil at holobyte.com.au>

> What is the best way of getting this type of footage onto BluRay? If I
> get a firewire card installed in my mythtv frontend, is there any easy way
> to write out in BluRay format (mytharchive perhaps?).

Well, to get it in, look for dvgrab.

Depending on your goals, your best solution might be merely to grab 25GB
of tape at a time, and write the DV AVIs to data DVDs, rather than
transcoding to video.

At least I *think* dvgrab will pull HDV...

Well, grab a whole tape, and pack 25GB onto each disc...

You will lose some quality transcoding from AVC/HDV to MPEG2.

Cheers,
-- jra