[mythtv-users] DVB-T2 290e Problem Tuning HD Channels UK Freeview.

Ian Barton lists at wilkesley.net
Sun Jan 19 16:39:35 UTC 2014

On 17/01/14 09:10, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 17/01/14 08:26, Ian Barton wrote:

>>> Just in case you're still confused, the Nova-T 500 is also a USB
>>> device, it
>>> just happens to be connected to a USB controller on a PCI card.
>>>

>> Thanks Stuart, I was aware that the T 500 was a usb device.
>> Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work :(
>>
>> Things are getting a bit confused, so here is a summary of what I have
>> done:
>>
>> In my MythTV backend I have:
>>
>> ian at mythtv:~$ ls /dev/dvb
>> adapter0  adapter1  adapter2  adapter3
>>
>> I have tried doing a scan for all adapters:
>>
>> sudo scan -ax -o zap /home/ian/uk-WinterHill > channelsx.conf
>>
>> All four adapters can tune the SD stations, but none of them can tune
>> the HD ones. Note I would expect only the 290e to tune HD.
>>
>> I have taken the 290e and tried it in my laptop, so there is no
>> confusion about which adapter is which. When I first got the adapter
>> it could tune HD channels in the laptop. Now using scan it can find
>> all the SD channels, but not the HD channels.
>>
>> I have tried all three aerials in the house, which should all be able
>> to receive Freeview. I can't tune HD channels using my laptop on any
>> of them, but SD channels are OK. Both of the TV's that have built in
>> Freeview tuners can tune the SD channels.
>>
>> I am plugging the 290e directly into the usb port and not using the
>> bit of cable that comes with it. For testing I am plugging directly
>> into the aerial lead without any intervening splitters/amps.
>>
>> Ian.

> Ian,
>
> scan will not work for dvb-t2 (i.e. HD) you need scan-s2.
>
> Also you really do need to fix the adapter numbers so they do not change.
> Suggest you fix the 290e to be adapter number 7 (just keeps it out of
> the way of other adapters)
>
> You will need a separate Video Source for the 290e in Mythtv (as it
> handles HD and SD)

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I think scan may handle SD. I am pretty
certain that when everything was working I created a channels.conf using
scan that contained HD channels. However, I have nw started using
w_scan, which definitely supports S2.

Anyway things have moved on a bit. I remembered last night that we have
an indoor antenna with built in amp. See
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ACV7E0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As a last resort I thought I would try using this to scan both the
Winter Hill and Wrekin transmitters, using w_scan. I tried the amp on
zero, mid way and full gain with each transmitter.

I couldn't get any HD channels from Winter Hill. However, with Wrekin I
could tune 3 HD channels with the amp on mid way and full gain setting.

So feeling lucky I went back downstairs and reconnected the 290e to the
MythTV backend. I deleted all channels and transports and did a full
scan. Amazingly I got all the SD channels, so I am now back where I was
last weekend with everything working. How long this will last is
anyone's guess:)

So, I think the 290e is working, but there is some sort of signal
problem as has been suggested by several other people. I'll see if it
continues to work over the next few days and try to remember the first
rule of MythTV installations "If it's working don't tinker with it".

Ian.

I decided to