[mythtv-users] commflagging and cutlists

Michael Stucky mike at stucky.us
Sat Jan 18 20:53:07 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> I guess I am confused about commflagging.  I always assumed that
> commflagging and cutlists went hand in hand...  However, I am playing with
> commflagging and I am coming up with some weird results that tell me I have
> no idea how commflagging works.
>
> First off the standard myth commflag job as run by myth:
>
> /usr/bin/mythcommflag -j 31 --noprogress --verbose general --loglevel info
> --quiet --syslog local7
>
> This takes a while; on my system it rolls through at 3-4x the speed of the
> video, so a 2 hour video takes about a half an hour to flag.

This flags the places that Myth thinks there are commercials (this will
take a while unless you have enough processing power to enable commflag
while recording). This may or may not accurately locate commercials. For
me, living in the US, this is only used as a starting point for using the
editor to create a usable cutlist.

> But to generate a commercial cutlist this is the command I've seen:
>
> mythcommflag: /usr/bin/mythcommflag --chanid 1132 --starttime
> 20140117230000 --gencutlist
>
> It's very fast, takes just a minute or two, and seems to flag commercials.
>  it also generates the following warning:

>  WARNING: --gencutlist has been deprecated
>           use mythutil instead
>
> So I've tried this:
>
> mythutil --chanid "$chanid" --starttime "$starttime" --gencutlist
>
> which also works quickly and generates a cutlist.

Both of these jobs take the flagged locations from the myth commflag job
and convert them into a cutlist. And again, you should be careful about
creating cutlists this way unless you are  sure the commflag job is
accurate.

So what is the correct procedure?  Do I run the first commflag job, then
> the mythutil cutlist job?
>
> I have the commflag job setup to run while myth is recording the program.
After the recording finishes I go into the editor and adjust/add/delete
startpoints and endpoints as needed to create an accurate cutlist.

Mike