[mythtv-users] OT - How to find what is overriding my DPI setting

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 13:40:18 UTC 2014

On Jan 17, 2014 9:51 PM, "Saul A. Peebsen" <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:21:44 -0600
> Jeremy Jones <jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 14, 2014 9:41 AM, "Joe Henley" <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe:  ps ax | grep X
> >
> > Well, I have finally determined that the DPI is not being over ridden
> > by a startup script or config file. It is the nvidia driver somehow.
> > It wont let me use non square dpi when using the edid. It appears to
> > ignore the option "useEdidDpi" "False". If I set the option "useEdid"
> > "False". It scales the pixels right but I lose the resolution I want.
> > It sets the resolution to 800x600 and I cant set it to the native
> > panel resolution of 1024x768.
> >
> > Anyone with some pointers.
>
> You are correct, nVidia blob ignores some established Xorg options, but
it all is documented.
> Not sure if every distro has it in same place, but mine has nVidia
> driver options in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-<version>/*
> Well worth reading.
>
> --
> Cheers, Saul

Just in case this thread turns up in a future search.  The useEdidDpi false
is not supposed to be ignored.  FWIW I dont think it is ignoring it. I
think the nvidia driver is just choosing to use the display size from the
edid to calculate the dpi instead of using what I specified in the
xorg.conf file. Telling it to ignore all edid seems to fix the dpi issue,
but if I do that I don't know how to set the display resolution. Ive tried
adding modlines but did not succeed.

I've decided its not worth more time foolong with it. The tv probably won't
last much longer anyway.

Thanks,

Jeremy