[mythtv-users] Category M "Missed" recording

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 14 19:31:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> I can't tell you what happened then.  There should only be two ways to
> get a recording marked as missed.  The first requires the master
> backend to have been restarted.  You said that didn't happen.  The
> second requires the scheduler to get stuck or be busy for the entirety
> of a recording and then mysteriously get unstuck.  To the best of my
> knowledge, that has never happened to anyone.  When things get stuck,
> they tend to stay that way until they are restarted.

Could the scheduler have refused to run if the system clock were
momentarily set forward a few hours, then set back to the correct
time?  And then appear to start working again after that few hours had
passed?

One piece of information I hadn't provided was that I replaced the
motherboard a few hours before the failure.  I did not take special
care to set the BIOS clock before booting the machine.  On the first
boot with the new board, the udev rules for the persistent network
card labeling refused to configure the new motherboard's network as
eth0 so the network didn't come up (and therefor ntp couldn't set the
clock).  After I fixed that and rebooted, I though everything was
working correctly.

If I grep the backend log for Scheduled I see:

Time:                  PID:
Jan 12 14:59:59  4816 (last run on old motherboard)
Jan 13 00:42:45  4547 (first run on new motherboard, no network)
Jan 13 00:42:53  4547
Jan 12 16:51:46  5033 (first run with network)

Eric