[mythtv-users] VBI/Closed Captions with HD-PVR

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Tue Jan 14 15:02:37 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 07:28 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> Let's take a step back - have you *actually* seen video on the device?
>   Have you tried running tvtime?
>
> The presence or lack of errors is only a symptom of the problem.  It's
> possible that the error messages you're seeing are false positives
> and/or that you're not getting errors even when there are problems.
> Hence assuming that some error message goes away when you take a
> specific course of action is not really an indicator that you've done
> the right thing.
>
> I wonder if the standard is set to PAL or NTSC by default.  Please try
> running "v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 --all" and provide the output.
>
> If it's defaulting to PAL (which wouldn't be surprising since that
> device supports both NTSC and PAL and it's sold internationally, then
> you should run
>
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 -s 1
>
> I suspect you've got a combination of a driver bug related to trying
> to use VBI while video isn't being captured, combined with you doing
> some non-conventional things to make the video work.
>
> Devin

Sorry to be brief, I have to run to an appointment.  I would have to
compile tvtime, could I do the equivalent with mplayer? I already have
mplayer installed.

I removed the module and then did modprobe again without specifying the
card this time. The requested output:

$ v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 --all
Driver Info (not using libv4l2):
         Driver name   : em28xx
         Card type     : EM2860/SAA711X Reference Design
         Bus info      : usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.4
         Driver version: 3.6.7
         Capabilities  : 0x05000051
                 Video Capture
                 VBI Capture
                 Sliced VBI Capture
                 Read/Write
                 Streaming
Format Video Capture:
         Width/Height  : 720/576
         Pixel Format  : 'YUYV'
         Field         : Interlaced
         Bytes per Line: 1440
         Size Image    : 829440
         Colorspace    : Broadcast NTSC/PAL (SMPTE170M/ITU601)
Format VBI Capture:
         Sampling Rate   : 13500000 Hz
         Offset          : 0 samples (0 secs after leading edge)
         Samples per Line: 720
         Sample Format   : GREY
         Start 1st Field : 6
         Count 1st Field : 18
         Start 2nd Field : 318
         Count 2nd Field : 18
Crop Capability Video Capture:
         Bounds      : Left 0, Top 0, Width 720, Height 576
         Default     : Left 0, Top 0, Width 720, Height 576
         Pixel Aspect: 54/59
Video input : 0 (S-Video: ok)
Frequency: 0 (0.000000 MHz)
Video Standard = 0x000000ff
         PAL-B/B1/G/H/I/D/D1/K
Streaming Parameters Video Capture:
         Frames per second: 25.000 (25/1)
         Read buffers     : 0
Tuner:
         Name                 : Tuner
         Capabilities         : 62.5 kHz
         Frequency range      : 0.0 MHz - 0.0 MHz
         Signal strength/AFC  : 0%/0
         Current audio mode   : mono
         Available subchannels:

Seeing that, I suspect you are correct that I need to specify NTSC. I
will try that tonight.