[mythtv-users] DVD Bookmark support?

Richard Hulme peper03 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 22:07:26 UTC 2014

On 25/12/13 19:19, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Richard Hulme <peper03 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Yup...that must be the case.  I just created an ISO of one of my
>>> VIDEO_TS directories with mkisofs and bookmarks work just fine.
>>>
>>> Thanks to both for the replies!
>>> Tom
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry, my Internet presence is a bit patchy at the moment, so I've only just
>> seen this thread.
>>
>> I wasn't aware that bookmarks for playback of VIDEO_TS directories was
>> disabled but I'll have a look at it in the new year. The bug in libdvdread
>> may well have been fixed since 2006. I want to update the DVD libraries to
>> the latest versions anyway.
>>
>> Richard.
>>

> Thanks!  Let us know how that goes.  I was going to say that I could
> test any patches involved etc, but I assume from you're reply that
> part of this will require replacing the libdvdread code in the source
> tree?

Hi,

Ok, bookmarks for VIDEO_TS directories were not explicitly disabled and
there is/was no bug in libdvdread.

The problem was simply that DVD bookmarks are stored in the database
using the DVD's serial number as the key.  libdvdread does not return a
serial number for directories as there *is* no serial number.

If there's no serial number, we don't try to store a bookmark (which is
probably the 'disabled for directories' bit).

Anyway, I added some code to detect that case and generate a serial
number by calculating the CRC of one of the files.  That should be good
enough.

If you want to try it, either sync to the latest master or try applying:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/70143d3.patch

I haven't tried it on 0.27, but I guess it would work.

Richard.