[mythtv-users] My scheduler problems are back again

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 12 17:31:03 UTC 2014

On 01/12/2014 12:02 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
> Out of curiosity I scheduled what would have been a conflicted recording in
> the first schedule. The scheduler then correctly moves the 2nd SBS recording
> to the multiplex that is already tuned to SBS which permits the new
> recording (correctly) without conflict. However once the additional
> recording is removed the 2nd SBS recording is returned to the empty tuner in
> preference to the already SBS-tuned tuner.
>
> I think this (more or less) confirms that the scheduler prioritises a
> recording to a vacant tuner over a vacant sub-channel on an already tuned
> multiplex

No, it never does--unless you explicitly break the scheduler by enabling
the setting:

Avoid back to back recordings
Selects the situations where the scheduler will avoid assigning shows to
the same card if their end time and start time match. This will be
allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts.

Or you mess with card or input priorities and tell it to put things in
particular places..

>   - at the expense of what might otherwise be wanted for potential
> LiveTV viewing. I would infer into this that the scheduler also then
> prioritises a recording to a +1 channel on a vacant tuner rather than an
> already-tuned tuner which would partially explain some of your observations
> Stephen.

MythTV, in absence of instruction to do otherwise, will always schedule
recordings on the first-available input that can be used for that
recording.  So, if it's doing otherwise, you've told it to do otherwise.

Mike