[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:37:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 10, 2014, at 9:08 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking to increase potential.
>
> We all are. I was asking on a more prosaic level.
>
> Specifically, what devices are colliding or causing you trouble? From what I've read it sounds like two analog tuners are causing myth headaches so...
>
>> The PC150U card has never worked
>> for me in Myth. ... Since I took it out of my box I've had no problems,
>> but if I put it back in I need UDEV rules
>
> It should be pretty easy. Each device uses a different driver so you don't have to try very hard to put together a matching condition. Something like this would work for your hauppauge card:
>
>     SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", DRIVER=="ivtv", SYMLINK+="video-pvr150"
>
> Reboot, verify that there is a /dev/video-pvr150, and then in myth-setup change the hauppauge tuner's device to be the symlink instead of /dev/video0 as it likely is. You should now be insulated from kernel device renumbering.
>
> For your other analog tuner do one of those udev attributes dumps and make a new udev rule with that card's driver and a new symlink. Then create a new tuner in myth using that symlink.
>
> I'm not clear if you have a problem with digital tuners but the drill is similar. The subsystem would be "dvb" and the driver name would come from further udev dumps. Use the symlink name in myth-setup.
>
> Oh, udev rules typically go in /etc/udev/rules.d. See what's in there already and create a new file with similar naming.
>
> - George

Thanks for the clarification George. The PC150U card is a hybrid dual
tuner capable of tuning in analog Qam and OTA signals, with a PCI
connection, which will get misnumbered because of another PCI, analog
only PVR 150 card. My other PCIe digital tuner is consistently
recognized.
Before I put it back into my myth box I'm testing the Hybrid for
function, no joy yet, but if I get it to work I'll refer back to your
instructions and ask all cards to play nice with eachother

Daryl