[mythtv-users] Mythutil ScanVideos not updating Video Metadata

A Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 03:25:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 01/10/2014 02:51 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> On Jan 10, 2014, at 14:28, A Desai wrote:

>>> So if I am understanding it right, there is no other way to do this
>>> except actually be on the Frontend (either Backend or the frontend box) and
>>> do a Scan for changes. I was hoping that if the mythutils lets it find the
>>> new video, why would it not let it do the next step - find the artwork?
>>>
>> It expects the video library to be open so it can pop up questions to the
>> user when there are multiple choices, and there's not really any value to
>> metadata without there being a frontend to view it.  The only reason that
>> was added was for users who only access the video library through UPnP to
>> update their content list.  The UPnP server had previously maintained its
>> own independent auto updated list for that purpose.
>>

> So, basically, the best solution is to use mythfrontend (on your dedicated
> frontend--no need to start mythfrontend on your backend host) to Scan for
> Videos.  This won't take that much effort since you'll only need to do it
> when you add new videos, which only happens every once in a while when you
> go out and buy new videos and rip them (assuming that's legal in your area
> of the world) to place in Video Library or when you move recordings to
> Video Library for archival (and since Scan for Videos is a negligible
> amount of work compared to the rest of editing/cutting/moving recordings
> for archival in Video Library, that's no big deal, either) or when you
> create your own videos (which, again, is a huge process compared to Scan
> for Videos, and, really, wouldn't have any associated metadata, so I'm
> guessing you're not talking about home videos).
>
> Mike

The thing is, I have quite extensive Bluray + DVD collection. I am trying
to get it all on myth as/when time permits - this will work as backup as
well as allow me to watch it without having to pop in a disc; plus
selecting a movie becomes quite enjoyable and easier when you see the
Gallery.

I hate updating the movie every other time I update my library. I
understand I can do the Scan on the dedicated frontend. No matter which
box, I do have to keep scanning from the GUI. I was SO hoping that the
mythutils would *also* update the metadata and not just add the movie with
a ? on it.

Maybe something for the devel guys if this ain't a lot of trouble?

Thank you again for chipping in.

--a--

http://about.me/adesai