[mythtv-users] down sizing

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Jan 11 00:17:43 UTC 2014

On 11/01/2014, at 4:25 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>>> Is there any way to get a movie recorded in HD (14GB with ads in) to
>>> burn onto a DVD (4.7GB)? I've done low quality transcodes on 6.8GB
>>> recordings that end up at 5GB.  027 fixes in Ubuntu 120.4
>>> Daryl
>> what do you use to record? or what is your recording device?
>> do you need the video to be playable on a normal dvd player or, do you
>> want to just get the file down below 4.7 gig?
>
> I have some HD recordings in Mythtv that I want to burn for my
> grandson's DVD player, so I need to shrink then burn in mythtv to be
> played on a commercial DVD player.

I'm following with interest.
Commercial DVD players can play 2 sided DVDs, so don't muddy the waters by sprouting.
ie say I can record single sided
Why record in HD in the first place? My own HD recordings are cica 5G / hour. Have you got extra quality (I've not looked at the settings.)

For me, every program that I saved to DVD worked. Are there limits? dunno, so why not just try

James