[mythtv-users] Mythvidexport problem

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 5 01:28:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 23:57:15 -0000, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net>
wrote:

>> 'Failure to overwrite' occurs because your video library already
>> contains a file with the same name and mythvidexport (sensibly) >>won't
>> overwrite it. You mention series so I'm guessing episode 1 exported ok
>> but subsequent episodes were trying to overwrite it >>because they were
>> assigned the same filename. I don't export TV series but I suspect the
>> filenames can end up being very >>generic when the metadata lookup
>> fails (ie. no matches/multiple matches). You may have to manually edit
>> the filename before >>before exporting more episodes of the same series.
> That explains why two different series behave so much differently. One,
> which apparently has good metadata, is putting episodes in
> sub->directories of /Television/Series/Season x/Intuitive-FileName.mpg
> while the other, which apparently has incomplete metadata, attempts to
> use />Videos/SeriesName.mpg.

Yep. The TV lookup is failing so it falls back to considering each episode
as a movie

>> The easiest solution for problem jobs is to run mythvidexport from the
>> command line. The backend log does show you the 4 digit >>job id in the
>> form of 'UserJob_<jobid>' so you should be able to simply re-use that;
> I wish I could do that but for some strange reason mythvidexport runs
> fine as a UserJob but it won't run from the command line, I get 'command
> >not found' whenever I try, regardless of whether I'm logged in as
> myself, as mythtv or as root.

1. Ensure the script has execute permissions "chmod a+x mythvidexport.py"
2. I had assumed the script was located in a directory that was in your
path "echo $PATH". For instance, mine is in /usr/local/bin. If not then cd
to its containing directory and use "./mythvidexport.py <jobid>"