[mythtv-users] How to transcode HD recording

mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 10:14:06 UTC 2014

Quoting John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>:
> It cuts at keyframes, and sometimes, in my HD recordings, these may
> be several seconds apart.   I find that stepping forward or back in
> the editor tends to get almost stuck then, too, but that may be
> because of inadequate hardware.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythDVBcut

In the UK on the FreeviewHD platform the encoders do statistical
multiplexing ans vary the gaps between keyframes. It's usually very
good at adding keyframes at the start and end of commercial breaks but
can go for over 30 seconds in the end credits of films. Trying to go
back one frame in the cutlist editor can be very slow and appear to
hang. I guess it's also very poor if you are watching live and happen
to tune in those times (even with a normal TV)

Cheers,
Tim.