[mythtv-users] Getting schedules direct guide data for a new channel

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:40:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow...this is a really strange one:  I was manually running
>> "mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all" as my own user login, which I've
>> always done (for years now) without any problems.  It didn't report
>> any errors and appeared to work as it always has.  However when I ran
>> the same mythfilldatabase command logged in as the "mythtv" user I
>> finally got guide data for that new channel.  What on *earth* could
>> that be all about??
>
> Different ~/.xmltv/... files ?
>
> It's easy to do, you're setting the system up and working in your own login and get it working. Then you find it's not working as a scheduled task, realise what the problem is, and copy the config file from your home directory to that of the MythTV user. Then years later, when you've forgotten all about it, you do some updates and wonder why the two users get different results.
>
> Guess how that one comes to mind :-/

I don't even have a ~/.xmltv/ directory for either my own user or the
mythtv user.  As far as the database I know that's working.  Like I
said, it does update listing and there are no errors.  It just didn't
get data for that new channel.

At this point I'm wondering if there isn't something on the schedules
direct end that somehow took some time, and the user login may not
have even been related...though that doesn't seem likely either.  The
only other thing I can think of is that my user currently doesn't have
write permissions to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels, but unless the
program itself expressly acts differently based on that, that
shouldn't affect simply getting guide data.

Odd one.

Tom