[mythtv-users] problems with (full) database restore

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 1 14:21:44 UTC 2014

Thanks Stephen.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> That sounds like you are running a newer version of the mythconverg
> database on the new system, and it had to convert the old database to
> the new format.  That can take quite some time, but if I remember
> correctly, if you check the logs, you will see it telling you it is
> doing that (run tail -f on mythbackend.log).  So if you had waited
> long enough it probably would have started up and worked.  With my
> huge database, I think it took over five minutes when I did my 0.26 to
> 0.27 upgrade.  It was long enough that I went away and did something
> else rather than sitting there waiting for it to complete.

I can't guarantee it but I believe they were both on 0.25.

> But it is actually recommended to run mythtv-setup first, before
> allowing mythbackend or mythfrontend to run.  That is because the
> database update process is done better by mythtv-setup - you can see
> it doing it, and I think it asks permission.  After a database
> upgrade, if you are running mythmusic and the music part of the
> database needs an upgrade, that happens when you start mythfrontend,
> and again there can be a little delay as it happens.

I failed to do that---saw no notice of it in the wiki instructions for
mythconverg_restore.pl. On the other hand, I think the db being restored
was also from 0.25, so this is valuable advice but maybe it didn't apply in
this case as I wasn't doing an update.

> >mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --filename
> >mythconverg-1299-20140101093254-reinstalled.sql.gz
> >Successfully restored backup.
> >
> >Unfortunately, now the system is once again sluggish in navigating the
> >menus, gets stuck for several seconds when pressing escape to exit the
> >program etc etc---basically back to the bad old days. Sounds a bit like
> >voodoo: clean system, all zippy; if changing the database can make it
> >sluggish, why doesn't changing it back make it zippy again? What am I
> doing
> >wrong? Is there any way to get it back to a zippy state without
> >reinstalling the whole distribution once more?
>
> I have no idea why restoring an empty database could cause problems
> like this.  Whenever I have restored databases, it just worked.

I wish I knew what to do differently so that I could then say the same ;-)
At this stage I'd be happy just getting the system back to the "fresh
install" situation, without rescuing any of the old material, so long as it
got back to a reliably responsive mode.