[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Timothy Krantz tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com
Wed Dec 31 14:24:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com <mailto:ozzy.lash at gmail.com> > wrote:

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org <mailto:newmank1 at asme.org> > wrote:

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com <mailto:ozzy.lash at gmail.com> > wrote:

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com <mailto:rogerheflin at gmail.com> > wrote:

If you are using a mce remote you will need to replace fedora's
kernels and compile a kernel.org <http://kernel.org>  (or mod fedoras kernel) to fix an
usb3 issue around the mce receiver, since that device does not have a
bios option that will allow you to downgrade usb to 2.0.

Other that that trouble mine worked fine, and same as you I had it
fail to boot after initial install, I rescue booted and modified the
dracut conf file so that the modules needed for the internal storage
were built into the initrd before I did my initial updates.

I did have to put tape over all of its little lights (power on, and
network lights) as it is annoying in a dark room.

Mine is working fine with both the 1080i mpeg and 1080i x264 recordings.

Given everything else on the market I still might buy it at its
current price given its tiny size, and the fact that it works on
everything I have tried to play.

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com <mailto:caldodge at gmail.com> > wrote:
> When I saw the 2G/32G (RAM/SSD) model on sale at NewEgg for $109.99,
> it seemed like it was worth a try to replace the used Dell in the
> living room.  So far it's working fine, with about 40% CPU usage (dual
> core) while playing HD video (MPEG 2 from HDHomerun).
>
> I had only one install glitch - it couldn't find the disk partitions
> on reboot after I installed Fedora 20.  So I just booted from the
> install flash drive, went to rescue mode, chrooted to /mnt/sysimage
> (where Fedora mounts filesystems for a rescued system), then ran "yum
> update".
>
> Now it's doing great as a frontend system, and it should pay for
> itself in a couple of years due to the power savings.  My wife will be
> happy that it can be hidden behind the TV, rather then sitting on the
> floor for all to see.
>
> Unfortunately, the sale is over, and the price is back up to $179.99
> (the 2G/64G model is $199.99).  But some may still find it worth it
> for the ease of setup (no playing around with nonfree kernel modules
> or weird settings).
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501007 <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501007&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-> &nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
>
> Calvin Dodge

I got one of these a few weeks back at $129.  I'm using debian unstable, and really didn't have too many problems.  The kernel was already 3.16 so the mce remote problem had already been fixed.

I've got to say that it is very snappy compared to my first gen ION frontend that it is replacing.  I see they are back to $109.  Might have to get another to replace an aging frontend in the bedroom (or at least to have as a hot standby).

There are a few "wish it hads".  An SPDIF output would be nice for hooking to older recievers.  Built in IR would be nice, or an internal USB header so you could de-case a mce remote an mount it in the box. And my eyes and hands are not good enough to connect the antennae to the wireless card.  I had to solder them under a magnifying glass.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip on this, I picked one up. However, I'm having a heck of a time getting it to boot from the MMC flash disk. I ran grub-install with the i386-pc target but the BIOS doesn't recognize it as a valid boot target. Also tried x86_64-efi but still no luck. My partitions are as follows (recommended per Gentoo):

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name    Flags
 1      1049kB  3146kB  2097kB                  grub    bios_grub
 2      3146kB  137MB   134MB   ext2            boot
 3      137MB   674MB   537MB   linux-swap(v1)  swap
 4      674MB   31.3GB  30.6GB  btrfs           rootfs

Any tips?

Thanks,

Karl

Well, I installed using a usb thumb drive using the debian testing 64 bit net install iso.  I accepted all the defaults, so it is a pretty simple layout.  I think you have to use the 64 bit version because of uefi.

Thanks for this tip.  Indeed, the O/S must be 64-bit or the system will not boot.  Not being familiar with UEFI, I was unaware and was trying unsuccessfully to load a 32-bit O/S.

For those perhaps interested, I used Rufus to create the USB stick.  I chose a GPT partition scheme for UEFI.

Here is my /etc/fstab, if it helps,  The usb partitions are, I think left over from the installation process:

#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# / was on /dev/mmcblk0p2 during installation
UUID=b326121e-74b7-4f23-920d-cba00e20c43e /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/mmcblk0p1 during installation
UUID=98EA-2BE4  /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0       1
# swap was on /dev/mmcblk0p3 during installation
UUID=77cb8549-be7c-4b38-9d43-e7f6e5800696 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sda1       /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sda2       /media/usb1     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

After installing I pulled the thumb drive and it booted right up.  Some others have reported success with other distributions (Fedora 20 I think) and mentioned something about having to boot into rescue and chroot and do a yum update.  Not sure about gentoo.  I think debian is using grub-efi to be able to boot with the uefi bios.  You might look to see if there is anything about installing gentoo on a uefi system.

Bill

Just to throw in one more data point.  I have one of these and installed Fedora 21 x64 on it.  Mine works pretty well, but does have the “will not reboot” issue that others have seen.

Tim