[mythtv-users] IR blasting with Debian Wheezy (lirc 0.9.0, kernel 3.2.0)

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:00:50 UTC 2014

On 30/12/14 22:28, Jeff Piazza wrote:
> I’m rebuilding a previously-working frontend/backend running on a Zotac
> zbox talking to a Hauppage 1212 HD-PVR.  I’ve got a MCEUSB device with
> IR blaster attached that used to work great at controlling the cable
> box.  The IR blaster is actually more important for me than the
> receiving part — a wireless keyboard isn’t out of the question.
>
> Previously I was running a 2.6.32 (I think) kernel and lira 0.8.7 built
> from source.  Now I’m on a new Debian Wheezy install with a 3.2.0
> kernel, and lirc-0.9.0 from the distribution.

This is definitely about lirc. Just some hints:

The big difference between 0.8,7 and 0.9.0 is that the kernel modules
has been upstreamed. What used to be lirc kernel modules is just plain
kernel modules in 0.9.0. In this process, the kernel drivers has been
rewritten to match the kernel guidelines in general and in particular
the rc framework.

The "hardware does not support sending" message reflects that the
default driver does not support sending. However, the default driver
probes the kernel driver for capabilities, and I'd presume it's
somewhere here things go wrong.

Still, looking at the dmesg output it looks like the kernel driver has
found the IR outputs. What worries me a little is the note that there is
two outputs, one of which cabled if I understand this correct.
"Confused". You might try to use the SET_TRANSMITTERS irsend command,
but I doubt it'll make any difference.

Your best bet is probably to rebuild lirc with debug enabled, Using this
you should be able to get debug output describing whether the default
driver understands if the kernel module can send or not.

To make things more interesting, 0.9.0 is now two versions behind
upstream 0.9.2, so the lirc people are beginning to forget how things
used to be (0.9.2 has a new driver model).

Sorry not to be more specific

--alec