[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Dec 29 02:14:56 UTC 2014

On 28/12/14 04:18 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> I was shying away from a "smart" TV because my impression was that
> they took longer to turn on, and we wouldn't use any of the "smart"
> functions (we don't subscribe to any streaming services... and we have
> MythTV!). But at my brother-in-law's yesterday I saw his LG

I recently bought a Haier 40" for cheap at Costco to replace a 27" CRT
that started giving purple and orange hues to everything.  It has a nice
enough picture, but it takes about 15 seconds to turn on.  It is NOT a
smart model.  I don't know why some TVs take a long time to turn on, but
it is not necessarily the smart TV circuitry.

I do agree that Smart TVs are not worthwhile.  A Roku, AppleTV, or even
a Chromecast will provide the same functionality for much less money
than the smart TV premium.  A Myth setup is nice as well...

Mark