[mythtv-users] Playback Stutters

Andy mizeraka at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 28 01:22:42 UTC 2014

Hi.
I just upgraded my backend.  It is a headless backed running Ubuntu server edition.  I have mythtv installed (0.27).  I have 2- 2TB WD green drives in a RAID 0 setup with LVM (ext4) on top.  They are connected via SATA III.
During video playback I am getting skipping of the video.  In the log I see:

mythfrontend[20625]: N CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2130 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(6): Waited 312ms for video buffers AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
mythfrontend[20625]: I Decoder avformatdecoder.cpp:663 (DoFastForward) AFD: No DTS Seeking Hack!

In the Playback Data accessed from the menu, I see:
 Available Buffer 99% of 8 Mb

That occasionally drops down to ~35% but seems to quickly recover.  The CPU usage is between 1%-15% (there are 4 CPUs).  I haven't been monitoring the Playback data when I've noticed a skip.

I don't seem to notice this with playback of recordings, only playback of videos (mp4 format).

I have increased the audiobuffer in /proc/asound....

I read all about prebuffering pauses on mythtv.org, but I'm not sure what applies to me and my system.  I thought a RAID 0 would make it faster, not slower, but I'm concerned my filesystem setup is my problem.   Are there other things I should look at before I back up all my recordings, and videos and redo my filesystem?

Thanks,
Andy M.