[mythtv-users] Netflix integration

Chad Parry spam at chad.parry.org
Tue Dec 23 17:28:23 UTC 2014

No problem! I had thought that most people on this list would be
compiling from source anyway. I may update the instructions for how to
perform surgery on a binary installation.

In short, this package gives me everything I want in Netflix
integration. I have a wrapper script that interprets the remote
control's commands and makes them smarter. Here's typically how I use it:

 1. I go to the Internet Video menu, and from there click Netflix.
 2. The browser opens in fullscreen (kiosk) mode.
 3. I use the remote's arrow keys to select which household member is
    logging in.
 4. I use the remote's arrow keys to find the Netflix search box and
    click it. The script provides mouse acceleration, so the pointer
    starts out slowly for fine-grained movements and then speeds up as I
    hold the button down.
 5. I use the remote's numeric keypad to enter the name of a show. This
    uses the multi-tap system from old mobile phones. For example, to
    type "L" I hit "555." It takes me about 15 seconds to enter a short
    phrase.
 6. I use the remote like a mouse to select and start a show.
 7. The remote's volume controls get forwarded to the Alsa mixer so they
    work like you would expect.
 8. When I'm done I hit the Back button to return to MythTV.

The wiki topic itself has more information on the features that are
available. Read under Usage
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Netflix_Native_Integration#Usage>. Since the
remote works so well as a mouse with these scripts, I use the same
controls for Amazon Instant Video and for Comedy Central online.