[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR trials and tribulations.

georgia_tech_swagger georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 00:56:01 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca>
wrote:

>  On 20/12/2014 6:18 PM, georgia_tech_swagger wrote:
>
>  I disabled XHCI entirely in the kernel and BIOS, rebooted into the new
> kernel, same result.
>
>  3.17.6 does seem to be better (~20m average until lockup) than the 3.16.5
> kernel (~5m) ... but still unusuable.  I'm trying 3.18.1 now.
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:
>
>>  ​Look at your kernel log and you'll likely see your USB3 is crashing.
>> I have not yet found stable USB3 drivers for Linux (stick with USB2).
>>
>   Please don't top post on this list.
>
> I'm assuming you've checked the usual culprits of hd-pvr issues (sharing a
> bus with a lower speed device (lsusb -t)), audio connection issues (try
> stereo input vs. spdif).
>
> Outside of that my only suggestion I can think of is get a cheap usb PCIe
> card with a *good* chipset (NEC, or something, generally not Via).

I've been moving it around (have 5 USB buses).  Haven't found a bus just by
itself yet that works any better.   I did the cat test and it did in fact
eventually hang on it too... so definitely a Linux kernel hdpvr and/or usb
issue.   Sadly I don't think I can get a PCIe USB card into this box.  Dual
GeForce 760 and a PCIe x1 SATA hot swap card.  I've been using the RCA
audio inputs all along on the hdpvr.