[mythtv-users] H.264 Recorded TV Program Image

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Dec 17 16:07:54 UTC 2014

On 12/17/14 10:54 AM, jim wrote:
> I wonder if others are experiencing this same scenario?
> When mythtv handles mpeg-2 encoded programs it appears to generate, or
> grab, a single-frame for the user to see when browsing the recorded TV
> programs. After a TV program has been transcoded to H.264 mythtv still
> plays the program without issue, but the single frame is often scrambled
> or nearly all  grey. If others have seen this too, does anyone know of a
> way to achieve better results with the H.264 encoded programming? Thanks.

I have lots of things that are either recorded directly in H.264 with an
MPEG4 container (from a HD-PVR), or converted to H.264 with a .mkv
container using Handbrake. I've only seen the grey preview problem you
describe once or twice.

You might try looking in your backend server log (or "ps -auxw | grep
mythpreviewgen" for something currently running) for calls to
mythpreviewgen, and then run the same command manually on the
commandline. Add "-v all" to get lots and lots of debugging info.