[mythtv-users] database version upgrade fail - 25->27

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 15 19:06:43 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 10:14 AM, Mepis Rocks wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Perhaps, as you stated, "This almost always means that you ran
> mythbackend on the master host and it started upgrading the database,
> but before it could complete the process," and the situation I had,
> upgrading from .24 to the latest version, was perhaps a slightly
> different situation.
>
> But, my upgrade failed because of database schema changes that
> couldn't be affected - duplicate entries, etc. that were incurred
> because of the needed schema changes.  This had nothing to do with
> your stated scenario.

For the OP, the failure was due to a duplicate column, which /was/ due
to trying twice to complete a step of an upgrade.  The only other
explanation would be if the OP manually added a column to the database
(creating an unsupported database schema) or ran a
self-compiled-and-patched version of MythTV that changed the schema to
support some not-yet-accepted patch and didn't undo the brokenness
before going back to a standard build.

For duplicate data, the problem is almost always due to users manually
editing database data--with one exception:  the change to UTF-8 columns
(in 0.21 to 0.22 upgrades) resulted in duplicate data for some users who
ran with improper-for-MythTV MySQL configuration (often due to distro
MySQL configuration defaults and lack of information about MythTV MySQL
configuration requirements--which weren't well advertised because no
one(?) ever really spelled them out until the UTF-8 changes went in).

> Restoring an old copy of the database and re-running the upgrade,
> multiple times, I was able to isolate each of the failed changes.
> Posted the solution that worked for me in a prior email back in November

For data corruption, the only fix is to get rid of the broken data one
way or the other.

For schema corruption, however, the proper fix is to go back to a backup
with a valid schema.

Mike