[mythtv-users] Fedora 19+ and MCE remote

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 23:42:45 UTC 2014

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had been running kernel 3.15.* and just
now upgraded to 3.17.6-200 (the latest Fedora 20 stock kernel). I have an
MSI motherboard and it seems there's no way to disable USB3, so I just have
to hope that the "while USB3 is enabled, USB is wonky" isn't the case. I
have some hope that this isn't the case, since I'm using a USB keyboard and
mouse with this setup and those seem happy.

Further comments inline.

The problem is likely the moving of the IR drivers into the kernel
> that has been going on.

I suspect that's likely, too.

> I use Mythbuntu, and am not familiar with recent Fedora systems.  But
> you might like to look at the working Mythbuntu setup I have for
> download on my web server:
>
>   http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2

Thanks. I downloaded it and was follow the README. I got to here, though:

===
After this the out put of "ls -al /dev/lirc*" on my box is:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Sep 27 03:21 /dev/lircd -> /run/lirc/lircd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Sep 27 03:21 /dev/lirc-mce -> input/event12
[snip]
===

and when I do that I don't see "/dev/lircd -> /run/lirc/lircd" but I do see
a "/dev/lirc0" device. I do see "/dev/lirc-mce -> input/event15'.

When I run 'ir-keytable' I see:

===
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event15) with:
Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC RC-5-SZ SHARP XMP
other
Enabled protocols: RC-6
Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
bus: 3, vendor/product: 0471:0815, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
===

When I run:

ir-keytable -r -d /dev/lirc-mce

I do see the keytable for the RC6 keytable, but oddly enough the "Enabled
protocols:" line has nothing after it (should there be?).

Running 'ir-keytable -t' yields no button presses, even though the red
light on the IR receiver is lighting up (seeming to indicate it's seeing
*something*).

Questions:

1) Is seeing "/dev/lirc0" but not a "/dev/lircd" a problem?
2) Even before I get to the lirc stage of the configuration, should I be
able to see input from the remote via 'ir-keytable -t'?

Thanks.
-jdm