[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 16:52:09 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are using a mce remote you will need to replace fedora's
> kernels and compile a kernel.org (or mod fedoras kernel) to fix an
> usb3 issue around the mce receiver, since that device does not have a
> bios option that will allow you to downgrade usb to 2.0.
>
> Other that that trouble mine worked fine, and same as you I had it
> fail to boot after initial install, I rescue booted and modified the
> dracut conf file so that the modules needed for the internal storage
> were built into the initrd before I did my initial updates.
>
> I did have to put tape over all of its little lights (power on, and
> network lights) as it is annoying in a dark room.
>
> Mine is working fine with both the 1080i mpeg and 1080i x264 recordings.
>
> Given everything else on the market I still might buy it at its
> current price given its tiny size, and the fact that it works on
> everything I have tried to play.
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I saw the 2G/32G (RAM/SSD) model on sale at NewEgg for $109.99,
> > it seemed like it was worth a try to replace the used Dell in the
> > living room.  So far it's working fine, with about 40% CPU usage (dual
> > core) while playing HD video (MPEG 2 from HDHomerun).
> >
> > I had only one install glitch - it couldn't find the disk partitions
> > on reboot after I installed Fedora 20.  So I just booted from the
> > install flash drive, went to rescue mode, chrooted to /mnt/sysimage
> > (where Fedora mounts filesystems for a rescued system), then ran "yum
> > update".
> >
> > Now it's doing great as a frontend system, and it should pay for
> > itself in a couple of years due to the power savings.  My wife will be
> > happy that it can be hidden behind the TV, rather then sitting on the
> > floor for all to see.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the sale is over, and the price is back up to $179.99
> > (the 2G/64G model is $199.99).  But some may still find it worth it
> > for the ease of setup (no playing around with nonfree kernel modules
> > or weird settings).
> >

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501007&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
> >
> > Calvin Dodge

I got one of these a few weeks back at $129.  I'm using debian unstable,
and really didn't have too many problems.  The kernel was already 3.16 so
the mce remote problem had already been fixed.

I've got to say that it is very snappy compared to my first gen ION
frontend that it is replacing.  I see they are back to $109.  Might have to
get another to replace an aging frontend in the bedroom (or at least to
have as a hot standby).

There are a few "wish it hads".  An SPDIF output would be nice for hooking
to older recievers.  Built in IR would be nice, or an internal USB header
so you could de-case a mce remote an mount it in the box. And my eyes and
hands are not good enough to connect the antennae to the wireless card.  I
had to solder them under a magnifying glass.

Bill