[mythtv-users] down sizing

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:26:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM, A. F. Cano <afc at shibaya.lonestar.org>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:13:36PM -0500, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> >> Is there any way to get a movie recorded in HD (14GB with ads in) to
> >> burn onto a DVD (4.7GB)? I've done low quality transcodes on 6.8GB
> >> recordings that end up at 5GB.  027 fixes in Ubuntu 120.4
> >
> > I asked how to transcode to SD a while back for a different reason:
> > slow CPU, and was given this command that has been working great:
> >
> > mythffmpeg -i <HDfilename>.mpg -target ntsc-dvd <HDfilename>SD.mpg
> >
> > It's been working great, although very slowly on my old/slow CPU.
> > At least I can watch the SD versions that come out.
> >
> > Others have commented extensively on size and quality issues, which
> > are all relevant to fitting the files on the DVDs, so more option
> > tweaking might be necessary if the files are really long.
> >
> > Augustine

> I recorded in HD because that was the way it was broadcast. As
> advised, however it did work, after transcoding the file size went to
> 10 GB and when I burned the DVD it showed 3GB to be occupied, it's
> automagic!
> Much joy.

I'm reviving this thread because I haven't really had "much joy" what has
happened is when I select SP which give a size appropriate to the space on
the disc I get a recording that is 30 minutes long instead of the original
90 minutes. To the best of my knowledge I'm following the wiki, some
category names have changed since .21, using the cutlist brings it from 14
Gb to about 8 Gb then selecting SP reduces it to 2.7 GB but the result is
only the first third of the recording.

I'm using mythtv.27 fixes in a 14.04 Ubuntu desktop.  any ideas?     Daryl