[mythtv-users] Poor sync on Peter Pan Live

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Dec 9 16:15:07 UTC 2014

On Saturday, December 06, 2014 02:06:55 PM William Jacoby wrote:
> On 12/6/2014 1:57 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> >>
> >> I just checked it - I agree it is out of sync. You can use the mythtv
> >> menu, adjust audio sync. It seems setting forward 100ms is about
> >> right.
> >> (Press right arrow in audio sync until it shows 100ms).
> >
> > Very good to know. Thanks.
> >
> >> This is surprising for such a strongly hyped show.
> >
> > I thought so, too. I guess a $10 million budget just doesn't go far
> > enough these days. :-)
> >
> >> They are re-broadcasting it in a couple of weeks time. Perhaps they
> >> will
> >> get it right then.
> >
> > If I thought the show was worth it I'd give it a second try. Some of
> > it was okay, and some was so-so.
>
> Heard on the radio, that people that were watching it LIVE noticed it
> was out of sync. They also thought they may have replayed the audio from
> a dress rehearsal and just lip-synced. Also said it felt like Walken had
> just phoned in the performance. Hopefully they'd redo it before
> rebroadcasting it. Due to a already full schedule that day, I put off
> recording it, till the second showing.

The budget was actually $25 million. The music was prerecorded - not enough
room and logistics to have a live orchestra. It was as good as could be
expected from only 2 full run-throughs and a Producer more focused on 2nd-
guessing and micro-managing everyone else's work than actually doing her
own. It showed. There was as much choreography for the camera crew as there
was for the actors. It was only live on the east coast; the rest of us got
it delayed, for me at the very family-unfriendly hour of 9pm. Some of the
longest commercial breaks I've ever seen in 8 years of having a DVR. More
of a novelty than anything else.

Sad fact: Just about everything you saw on-screen was summarily pitched
into dumpsters or hauled to the dump starting the morning after, including
7 semi-trailers of lumber. But the production was eco-friendly: mandatory
sorting of recyclables in the lunch room and no bottled water allowed. :)

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca