[mythtv-users] failed recordings: Poll took an unusually long time

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Dec 8 22:56:28 UTC 2014

On 08/12/14 21:27, Richard Morton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long time no see, I hope everyone is well.
>
> I have a system running on an Atom with two PCtv-290e usb dvb-t2 tuners.
> It's on Mythbuntu 12.04.5 32bit
>
> MythTV Version : v0.27.4-25-g86ff53a
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
>
> Atom 330 / ION
> 4gb ram
> 32gb ssd
> 2 x 3tb drives for storage
>
> The system was working well for a year; it became unreliable in
> recordings/playback which I eventually tracked down to a loose aerial
> connection however it is now still causing issues.
>
> When I restart the system (cold start) it works fine but after a few hours
> I start to lose recordings; starts with failed mid-way through recordings
> (short recordings with corruption) and then complete fails (0byte
> recordings)... The mythbackend log is full of the following.
>
> The temperature of the unit doesnt change so although I say "cold start" I
> mean this in the technical sense that I removed the power from the unit
> before start but the system hasn't cooled down.
>
> I'm guessing that it is component failure - the motherboard is 4 years old
> I guess now. honestly I have been thinking of an upgrade but would rather
> wait a couple of months.
>
> Anything anyone can suggest to try and identify the issue?
>
> thanks

> Dec  7 23:53:23 master mythbackend: mythbackend[2000]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Poll took an unusually long time 30021
> ms
> Dec  7 23:54:34 master mythbackend: mythbackend[2000]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Poll took an unusually long time 71619
> ms
> Dec  7 23:54:42 master mythbackend: mythbackend[2000]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Poll took an unusually long time 7551
> ms
> Dec  7 23:54:53 master mythbackend: mythbackend[2000]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Poll took an unusually long time 11222
> ms
> Dec  7 23:55:12 master mythbackend: mythbackend[2000]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Poll took an unusually long time 18919
> ms
> Dec  7 23:55:23 master mythbackend: mythbackend[2000]: W DeviceReadBuffer
> recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:555 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0): Poll took an unusually long time 11222
> ms

Unless your motherboard is really duff it should last longer than 4 years!

Might I suggest you look at your tuners first. One or other (or both) may have
failed / be failing or may just be getting too warm. Also, since these are USB,
investigate the connections to the motherboard.

Another angle might be blown caps, although I've never had trouble with my
mini-ITX systems, only regular motherboards.

--

Mike Perkins