[mythtv-users] Scheduler runs slowly causes backend to lock up

Paul Netherwood pnetherwood at email.com
Mon Dec 8 22:32:35 UTC 2014

> > I'm on Ubuntu 14.04. Mysql temp area is /tmp is on disk but the disk is an SSD.
>
> SSD's are not always a magic bullet.  I have seem some (S3700's)
> that do almost everything right, and ones where abysmal is being
> too kind by an order of magnitude.  In consumer grade devices,
> whether the device lies in regards to actually implementing the
> flush cache command is usually the key to acceptable performance.

Mine's a Sandisk 256GB Ultra Plus. I've no idea how good the flush cache command implementation is. I think the trick is if I can get Mysql to stay in RAM then that's my best bet all round. tmpfs seems like a good idea because I don't think you can completely force mysql to keep all tmp files in memory with configuration tweaks. However, I wouldn't want to swap a problem of slow tmp files being created on disk with tmp files failing to be created at all when tmpfs runs out of space.