[mythtv-users] high cpu usage when recording

Marco Nelissen marco.nelissen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 05:05:00 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Marco,
>
> Sunday, December 7, 2014, 4:43:07 AM, you wrote:
>
> > I have v0.25.3-49-gb5adf03, which based on a search for that string
> appears to be from August 2013.
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
>
> >> On Dec 6, 2014, at 12:19 PM, Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>  >>
>  >> My combined front/backend uses about 40% when recording 2 shows, and
> 130% when recording 5 shows, which seems awfully high for what's basically
> just writing data to disk.
>  >> Running strace on some of the threads, they seem to be very busy
> calling gettimeofday() and clock_gettime(). In fact that seems to be *all*
> they're doing, since I'm not seeing anything related to writing the
> recordings in the trace.
>  >> Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
> >

> > What version are you using? Perhaps a year ago there was a change
> > that removed/reduced the frequent time calls. I don't have a
> > reference but Daniel K made the commit.
> >
> >  - George
> >

> ? :(
> don't toppost
> And what do you want to state!
> Upgrade to normal/recent versions!

The version I'm using is only just over a year old, and is the most recent
version mythbuntu offers me. Why would I go through the hassle of upgrading
my entire system? I do find it somewhat amusing that you apparently
recommend upgrading my entire system, while at the same time complaining
about top-posting, which isn't an issue for any decent/recent mail client.