[mythtv-users] PCI motherboard, or switch to PCIe/USB/net?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Aug 31 10:09:48 UTC 2014

On 31/08/14 05:46, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt wrote:

> On 14-08-30 09:25 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> My motherboard died and so I need a replacement. The thing is that I currently
>> have three PCI capture cards, and motherboards with 3 PCI slots are
>> increasingly hard to find, and apparently don't last very long (this one
>> lasted 2 years).
>> I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to switch to PCIe, USB or
>> networked capture cards, or whether I should stick with PCI. Also, suggestions
>> for an LGA1155 motherboard that will last more than 2 years are welcome.
>>

> While I don't feel comfortable commenting on a specific board without knowing
> any of your other requirements, if your case has sufficient space, you could
> change to a PCIe board, and just use a PCIe to PCI adapter, such as
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158165.
>
> As far as longevity goes, I've had pretty good luck with both Gigabyte (in
> fairness, one of my Gigabyte boards did die recently, after 7 1/2 years of 24
> hrs up time) and EVga (zero failures to date) boards in recent years, while
> nothing but pain from MSI (3x DOA, and 2 dead within 6 months).

The drawback with that adapter is that it gets him *one* PCI slot per *one* PCIe
adapter, and to top it the PCI cards have to be low-profile.

You might be better off going for USB or PCIe, even though this means upgrading
your tuners.

In recent years changes to digital mean that often newer tuners will be better
suited to receive the improved services that are offered (stop laughing at the
back there!) and will also be lower power. I always found PCI cards to be power
hungry.

--

Mike Perkins