[mythtv-users] RAID 1

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 15:36:31 UTC 2014

Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Mythizens, I have a 250 (sda) with the OS on it and two terrabytes (sdc) with /var/lib/mythtv on it and (sdb) mount / ext 4. I found a ubuntu thread and I'm wondering if this is a good way for me to go:

That depends on what you are trying to achieve. *In general* it's not recommended to put your recordings on RAID volumes - it's not that it won't work, just that the gains generally aren't big and there are downsides.

> I want to preserve the recordings on sdc and mirror them to sdb.

Presumably this is an "Oh bother, the drive has failed, but it's OK I have a backup" interpretation of preserve ?
An alternative is to avoid RAID and just periodically update the backup directory with the contents of the live directory. This is actually (in many ways) better than mirroring with RAID - with RAID1, if you delete a file or corrupt the filesystem then both copies get instantly updated. It's an often quoted thing, but RAID is not a backup.

If you clarify what it is you want to achieve, and give some indication of your priorities, then it's possible to suggest whether RAID is the best solution for you.