[mythtv-users] Setting up Mythtv via Debian Chroot

Alex Van Deusen alex.vandeusen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 21:58:42 UTC 2014

Hello I am longtime mythtv user.  Proud to say 10+ years.

In the past I ran it on knoppmyth and than mythbuntu.   I tried to keep it
simple with low maintenance.

I now want to run mythtvbackend (only) on synology nas.   Yes I am aware
that is a terrible idea but its actually a modified synology called
Xpenology running on an 8core processor with 16gig of Ram.   So hardware is
more than up for the task.  I used to run mythbackend on a 1ghz intel
backend with 512K.

There is a package built already for synology for debian Wheezy via chroot
which is installed.  I can enter debian Chroot via terminal with no issues.
   Although I think I dont have it properly setup in terms of locales and
other basic setup.  I am not a Debian guy.

I installed the keyring from deb-multimedia

apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring

I than added below to my sources.list
*deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org <http://www.deb-multimedia.org> wheezy
main non-free*

I did an apt update

Than I did an apt-get install mythtv-backend.

blah at Syno:/# apt-get install mythtv-backend

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

or been moved out of Incoming.

 mythtv-backend : Depends: libmyth-0.26-0 (>= 0.26.1+fixes20140122~) but it
is not going to be installed

                  Depends: libmythavcodec54 (>= 0.26.1+fixes20140122~) but
it is not going to be installed

                  Depends: mythlogserver but it is not going to be installed

                  Depends: mythtv-transcode but it is not going to be
installed

I dont know how to fix the above broken packages.   Do I need to?

I installed the mythtv-database next.

It went through but at the end gave me errors.

Setting up mythtv-database (0.26.1+fixes20140227-dmo1) ...

Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at -e line 5, <> line 1.

Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at -e line 5, <> line 1.

dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):

 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
255

Processing triggers for ca-certificates ...

Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs... 158 added, 0 removed; done.

Running hooks in /etc/ca-certificates/update.d....done.

 mysql-server-5.5

 mysql-server

 mythtv-database

I just want to get to the point where I can

1. start  mythtvbackend

2. Run-setup

3.Configure my capture cards (Hdhomerun and HD-pvr) and schedules direct
 lineups, etc.

Is anyone running mythtv in this way and get help me get this setup
properly.