[mythtv-users] GUI to CLI

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Aug 27 19:22:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> If the user was upgrading inside a major version (eg. from one 0.27
> fixes build to a newer 0.27 fixes build) then there is no reason to do
> the "full dist-upgrade", as no new packages were being installed.

True.  It's likely that apt-get upgrade would have worked as well as
dist-upgrade did in this case, but some sort of manual intervention
was required here.

> What
> probably happened is that the failed mythexport installation causing
> the rest of the packages to be in a half configured state.

That's what I thought initially as well, but Daryl reported that the
library mismatch remained a problem after running both "dpkg
--configure -a", and "apt-get -f install".  Usually those two commands
will clean up any half configured state the system may be in.  In this
case, only after the dist-upgrade did his system recover.  If the
dependencies are as you say, I can't explain how this happened.

Eric