[mythtv-users] Disk I/O problems? [SOLVED]

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 09:05:10 UTC 2014

Sorry for the long delay folks, have been flat out coping with a multitude of
issues, including replacing my Mythbox :)

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:48:30 PM John Drescher wrote:
> What does smartctrl say?
>
> sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda

One disk had read errors, lot of problems.

> Check your logs to see if the drive is running SATA 1 (1.5 Gbit/s)

They were running as SATA 1 - thanks for the heads up!

Hard disk was failing and the motherboard has been having overheating
problems, and the whole thing is ancient - 5 years+, so I bit the bullet and
replaced it with a Intel Celeron NUC  I asked about earlier.

Unqualified success, very pleased with it.

- Celeron NUC
- 4 GB RAM
- 60GB SSD
- 1TB USB3 Drive
- 1TB WD Green attached via a SATA/USB3 Enclosure
- 3 USB DVB Tuners (1 Double)

Managed to rescue the recordings off failing drive by rsync'ing them to the
USB drive.

Recycled the other 1TB drive using a USB Enclosure.

Just transplanted the Boot SSD from the Old box to the NUC. I was running
short on time, so rather than do a fresh install like I planned, I used it as
is and did a release upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

Upgrade went perfectly, once done, it drove my 42" plasma at full resolution.
It has no problems playing back any of my hi def videos, VAAPI seems to be
working as the cpu sits a 6-12% even with a 1080p video.

Remote was erratic at first until I realised myth was using the NUC Infrared
sensor rather than the USB one I have.

Sound is tricky, my TV drives a 5.1 Logitech AMP via optic cable and I haven't
figured out how to get better than stereo yet. Its a Bay Trail, anyone know
the correct setting for HDMI passthrough with it? currently using:

ALSA:hdmi:Card=PCH,DEV=0

with Dolby disabled.

So far, very pleased with it - everything auto detected, system feels snappy,
whisper quiet, low power consumption. And takes up far less space than my old
ATX box.

--
Lindsay