[mythtv-users] Philips 32PFL5007K/12 TV set and a UPnP problem (was: UPnP - gupnp-av-cp and a TV ....)

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Sun Aug 24 07:35:01 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org (Fri 22 Aug 2014
12:40:06 AM CEST)
[...]

> Message: 17
> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 22:52:02 +0100
> From: John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>

[...]

Thanks again for your answer. To make a long story short, you are right:
the recordings can be played on the TV set as videos.

Moreover, perhaps because of recent upgrades, gupnp-av-cp no longer has
problems with MythTV. So I restore the previous subject.

Unfortunately the details are quite confusing for me.

> On 08/21/2014 07:17 AM, Janusz S. Bien wrote:
>> Quote/Cytat - mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org (Thu 21 Aug 2014 06:11:04
>> AM CEST):

[...]

>> The files extension is mpg, the file program reports "MPEG transport
>> stream data"
> I suppose that would be Polish DVB.  I would use 'ffmpeg -i <filename>'
> or mediainfo to get more details, but they're probably irrelevant.

I agree it's probably irrelevant, but just of curiosity, what do you
mean by Polish DVB?

ffmpeg reports for a sample file

[mpegts @ 0x8e13e00] PES packet size mismatch
Input #0, mpegts, from '/mnt/MyBookT1/4MythTV/1402_20140823143500.mpg':
   Duration: 01:00:00.86, start: 76733.255600, bitrate: 2349 kb/s
   Program 1
     Stream #0:0[0xc9]: Video: mpeg2video (Main) ([2][0][0][0] /
0x0002), yuv420p(tv), 704x576 [SAR 16:11 DAR 16:9], max. 15000 kb/s,
25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
     Stream #0:1[0xca](pol): Audio: mp2 ([4][0][0][0] / 0x0004), 48000
Hz, stereo, s16p, 123 kb/s

I enclose also the mediainfo output for the same file.

>>> Nevertheless...
>>>
>>> The Myth UPnP server treats 'recordings' and 'videos' differently and
>>> you might find that your files will play as videos - although I find
>>> that the duration/progress info is missing then.
>>
>> My Video directory is empty.
> I thought it would be worth copying (or linking) one of your recordings
> into that directory and 'scanning for changes';  is it then listed as a
> video and does it play (both in mythfronted and via upnp)?

The frontend shows the videos but with no metadata at all and doesn't
play them
(nothing happens when I click on "Play"). On the other hand playing
recordings works OK.

[...]

>> Quote/Cytat - "Janusz S. Bien" <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> (Mon 18 Aug 2014
>> 02:30:07 PM CEST):
>>
>>> All the MythTV recordings (at least all tested) can be played on the
>>> TV set when served by rygel. So the problem seems to be MythTV
>>>  specific.
>
> ... but the myth server _does_ work with some renderers, including my
> TV, so your TV isn't cooperating.  Mine didn't without the revert-#9446
> patch.

I understand you mean this:

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9446

Is there a chance I could use your binaries for a test? I don't have
yet enough
time and determination to compile from source to revert the patch.

> If rygel does what you want, ok; otherwise it would be good to
> dig further.

Browsing in MythTV is definitely more convenient, so I am willing to dig
further.

>  Perhaps, with Myth running, you could run 'mythbackend
> --setverbose none,upnp'

Do you mean

mythbackend --verbose none,upnp

?

mythbackend --setverbose none,upnp gives some strange errors:

MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server: 192.168.0.14:6543 (try 1 of 1)
MythSocket(893eca0:-1): Failed to connect to (127.0.0.1:6543)
Connection refused
Unable to connect to backend, verbose mask unchanged

> in a terminal and see what you get in the
> backend log, but I'm no expert in interpreting it.

I enclose the output of `mythbackend --verbose none,upnp`.

> And about a month
> ago another diagnostic tool was posted here but TTBOMK it isn't
> 'supported', and although I've used it I'm not familiar with it and I
> probably shouldn't be mentioning it....

I somehow missed this posting, I will be glad to give it a try.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)