[mythtv-users] Mythweb errors after upgrade to 0.27.3

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Aug 22 20:54:34 UTC 2014

> On 21 August 2014 09:53, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>
>> Wed Aug 20 16:01:17.799189 2014] [access_compat:error] [pid 12849]
>> [client
>> 66.249.84.73:58368] AH01797: client denied by server configuration:
>> /var/www/mythweb/data/tv_icons/bbc_america.jpg, referer:
>> http://www.malibyte.net:xxxx/mythweb/tv/list
>
> https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=client+denied+by+server+configuration&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Hff1U51oyMLyB6r7gfAG&gws_rd=cr

Jean-Yves:

Thanks, but I'd already been there.  The problem is not a permission or
access issue per se.

"Client denied by server configuration

This error means that the access to the directory on the hard disk was
denied by an Apache configuration. It could be that access was denied
due to an explicit deny directive or due to an attempt to access a
folder that is outside of the DocumentRoot. It can also happen when you
are proxying and there's no access configured for the proxied location.
And it is the default response to a PUT request.

These are some reasons for this entry to be recorded in your ErrorLog:

The default Apache config includes Deny from all in the <Directory>
block the DocumentRoot - this must be changed to allow access!"

(NOT the case)

"If you change the DocumentRoot, you will need to change the <Directory>
block referring the old root, to the refer to the new root"

The DocumentRoot for the Apache server is /var/www, set in the server's
main .conf file.  The default mythweb.conf does NOT include a
DocumentRoot line, but does have a <Directory> block for the Mythweb
directory.  Adding the

Order allow,deny
Allow from all

lines to that block does not have any effect.

"You need a <Directory> block for every folder outside of your
DocumentRoot"

The Mythweb directory is a subdir of the DocumentRoot (symlink to
/usr/share/mythweb)

"You need a <Directory> or <Location> block for every Alias"

There are no Aliases.

"You need a <Location> or <Proxy> block for your proxy"

There are no proxies.

"To fix this problem, look at the line in your ErrorLog, to find out
which folder it is trying to access.
If a <Directory> block already exists for that folder, make sure it is
set to allow access as necessary. If not, add a <Directory> block to
your Apache configuration file, allowing access as required. See the
example below for folder /usr/local/awstats/htdocs."

The folders it's trying to access are subdirs of the DocumentRoot, so
shouldn't be an issue.

However, if I add

DocumentRoot "/var/www/mythweb"

to mythweb.conf, I DO get the Mythweb page, but with the message "An
unknown module was specified".  Clicking on the links to the sub-pages,
e.g. Listings, Recorded Programs. etc. - WORKS - but I get a huge number
of error messages like this in Apache's error.log:

[Fri Aug 22 13:25:20.939571 2014] [access_compat:error] [pid 15584]
[client 192.168.1.9:51561] AH01797: client denied by server
configuration: /var/www/mythweb/tv, referer:
http://192.168.1.9/tv/recorded

If you note, the referer is wrong - it should NOT be
192.168.1.9/tv/recorded, but 192.168.1.9/mythweb/tv/recorded.

So, this appears to be a path/configuration issue.

To summarize - without adding the "DocumentRoot /var/www/mythweb" line
-> loop, no Mythweb page displayed.

WITH the line added, the page displays, but with errors that should not
be happening, due to a path problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?  It was working fine before the
upgrade to 14.04/0.27.3.  Was there some change made to Apache2, or is
this a Mythweb problem?

No matter what - does anyone have a fix for it?

Thanks very much, in advance.

Bob