[mythtv-users] Yet another silly action to drive the mythbox crazy

Nicolas Krzywinski myth at site7even.de
Fri Aug 22 15:31:39 UTC 2014

Am 22.08.2014, 01:24 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:

> On rotating storage, limited free space is going to cause heavy
> fragmentation, heavy seeking, and reduced performance and lifespan. On
> solid state storage, limited free space is going to cause write
> amplification as the drive continuously has to shuffled data around, and
> reduced performance and lifespan.
>There is never any good reason to leave that little free space available.
Well ... now, some say write to zero, me saying reserve a little, others say reserve more ... :D

Am 22.08.2014, 00:40 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:

> Ever thought of lvm2 to distribute space outside the root partition?
> It's very flexible and you can resize most volumes on the fly (except
> of cause volumes accessed by the system like /var.
Another interesting possibility. Maybe even better than applying a quota.
I always wanted to try this out ... once I tried it and it was not that flexible as described everywhere, but can not remember the details (I may find the server with this setup though ... maybe I should have a look at it)

Am 22.08.2014, 00:40 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:

> You were lucky. I believe the effects of running out of disk space with MySQL can be "bad" - as in potentially destroying the database beyond practical recovery in severe cases.
Yeah I know, over the years I had a couple of hard issues with mysql, resulting from full disks, failed disks, etc.
But - as far as I can remember - the tables always could be repaired! Manual intervention was required, but it worked. And its been some time since the last accident of that type happened, so maybe they got better ... lately bitchy replication ranks up on my most annoying issues, but we leave the topic...

Regards,
Nicolas

--
www.nskcomputing.de