[mythtv-users] Live TV judder until channel change

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 04:43:53 UTC 2014

For a week or so I've noticed that when I start live TV I get really bad
judder until I switch to a different station.  I can go back to the
original channel and everything is fine.  I noticed this when I turn on the
news in the morning and usually it starts on OTA Portland 2.1 which is a
720p station.  The text crawl on the bottom of the screen is really jerky
and overall movement in the picture seems to have really bad judder.

I then switch to a different channel (usually up to OTA Portland 8.1 which
is 1080i) and back to 2.1 then everything is fine.  I don't know if a
switch in resolutions fixes it but it does get fixed.

I also often don't get audio until a channel switch.

I didn't notice it until an update I did from git in the ~Aug 9 or 10
timeframe.  A pull and compile today gave the same behavior.

I'm running on Linux Mint 17 and compile myth myself.

Frontend info:

mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v0.27.3-152-g926bb8d
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20140719-1
QT Version : 4.8.6
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_pulse using_backend
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd
using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl
using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_sdl
using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

A pastebin of mythfrontend -v playback can be found below (only edit was to
pull out my IP):

http://pastebin.com/dDgFNVFh

In this case I started live tv on OTA 2.1 (720p) had judder, switched to
8.1 (1080i), then back to 2.1.

Anyone see oddness in the log file?

Thanks!