[mythtv-users] Yet another silly action to drive the mythbox crazy

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 20:04:27 UTC 2014

Hoi Eric,

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Another Sillyname
> <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> While I appreciate extensive coding would be a PITA and you can never
>> code for ALL the possibilities that user misconfiguration can cater
>> for perhaps a simple (not in C++)......
>>
>> if [ $STORAGEDEFAULTDIRECTORYDEVICE == `df -h | grep "/$" | awk -F " "
>> ' { print $1 }' ]; then
>>
>> echo "You're not allowed to have the default storage directory on the
>> same device as your root directory to avoid crashing your machine"
>> echo "Please choose a different directory and hard drive to install
>> your default storage group.........."
>> echo "exiting hard, please reconfigure before running setup again"
>>
>> exit 99
>>
>> fi
>>

>> While the code isn't elegant you get the point

> While I agree that it should be recommended best practice to isolate
> the recording drives from the root partition in most cases, it
> shouldn't be the job of the application to enforce that sort of thing.
> Creating a new partition really shouldn't be necessary if mythtv isn't
> running as a production system.  If a new user just wants to play
> around with it, or a developer wants to set up a test (virtual?)
> machine, I don't see a need for the application to second guess the
> system administrator on this front.  Checks like this just make life
> more difficult than necessary.

> Eric

Some time ago a looked at xbmc and while it has nice things, I hated
it for taking over my system. It's why I don't like mac and to some
degree Windows. I am the master of my systems not some 'dum' program
that doesn't know even half of why things are done the way they are.

Don't let Myth go that way. It may advise never rule.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop