[mythtv-users] Yet another silly action to drive the mythbox crazy

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Aug 21 19:30:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Another Sillyname
<anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> While I appreciate extensive coding would be a PITA and you can never
> code for ALL the possibilities that user misconfiguration can cater
> for perhaps a simple (not in C++)......
>
> if [ $STORAGEDEFAULTDIRECTORYDEVICE == `df -h | grep "/$" | awk -F " "
> ' { print $1 }' ]; then
>
> echo "You're not allowed to have the default storage directory on the
> same device as your root directory to avoid crashing your machine"
> echo "Please choose a different directory and hard drive to install
> your default storage group.........."
> echo "exiting hard, please reconfigure before running setup again"
>
> exit 99
>
> fi
>

> While the code isn't elegant you get the point

While I agree that it should be recommended best practice to isolate
the recording drives from the root partition in most cases, it
shouldn't be the job of the application to enforce that sort of thing.
Creating a new partition really shouldn't be necessary if mythtv isn't
running as a production system.  If a new user just wants to play
around with it, or a developer wants to set up a test (virtual?)
machine, I don't see a need for the application to second guess the
system administrator on this front.  Checks like this just make life
more difficult than necessary.

Eric