[mythtv-users] Cablecard spec change undermining CCI Copy Freely flags

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 21 14:09:17 UTC 2014

On 08/21/2014 09:41 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> If what I'm reading there is accurate, it would seem CableLabs made a
> change to their specification. Now, whenever a CCI 0x00 Copy Freely
> flag is present, the cablecard is allowed to lie and report that there
> are actually no CCI flags present. And Cisco has implemented this
> change in their latest firmware (as of version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101).
> This essentially makes the CCI 0x00 flag useless, and is probably the
> reason why Silicon Dust has made the change they did. I'm not sure if
> they got special permission to do it, got creative in their legal
> interpretation of the spec, or just said screw it and "fixed" it to
> deal with the new "feature".

I know Hauppauge had to go to CableLabs for permission for the change.
I found http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/542876#542876
, but can't find any more specific info.  Then again, maybe they
implemented the change while their request for clarification was pending
and it will be unimplemented now?

Mike