[mythtv-users] Errors from upgrade

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:06:48 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2014, at 10:42 pm, "Mark Perkins" <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 20 Aug 2014, at 9:27 pm, "Daryl McDonald" <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 20 Aug 2014, at 9:35 am, "Michael Watson" <
>>> michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 20/08/2014 9:35 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>>
>>> Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic: No such file or
>>> directory
>>>

>>> Did you run out of space on the / partition during upgrade?
>>>
>>> Looks like the kernel didnt install properly.
>>>
>>> Try something like this;
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-3.13.0
>>>
>>> No virus found in this message.

>>> Daryl, what is the output of:
>>>
>>> df -h

>>> Michael, The partition is 48 GB with 21 GB unused, should be big enough?
>>
>> Mark, I'll try your suggestions tomorrow when I get a window of
>> opportunity. likewise with your suggestion Michael.
>>
>> Many thanks to all
>>

> After logging into the TTY console I get a message:
> no talloc stackframe at ..source/param/loadparm.C:4864 leaking memory
>
> after, sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-3.13.0 I get:
> no talloc stackframe at ..source/param/loadparm.C:4864 leaking memory
> E: command line option --reinstall is not understood
>
> after uname -mrs I get:
> linux 13.3.0 - generic x86_64
>
> after, lsb_release -a I get:
> distribution ubuntu14.04.1 lts
> release 14.04
> codename Trusty
>
> then a message: "the system is going to halt now" ...and it did

> Daryl do you get any output from:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | grep libpam-smbpass
>
> Also what is the output of:
>
> apt-cache policy samba

> Daryl, I'm going to bed shortly but if the output of the dpkg command
> shows that libpam-smbpass is installed then the two workaround options
> appear to be:
>
> Option 1
> Run the command:
>
> pam-auth-update
>
> And use up / down arrows to highlight "SMB password synchronization",
> press space to unselect, press tab to highlight ok and press space to ok.
>
> Reboot
>
> Then try the earlier commands:
>
> sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-3.13.0
>>>
>>> uname -mrs
> lsb_release -a
>
> Option 2
> Run the command:
> sudo apt-get remove libpam-smbpass
>

> I would try option 1 first, then option 2 if that didn't work.
>
> If that improved things I would then suggest re-cloning your system to
> start again, open a terminal window and do the option 1 or option 2 steps,
> [...]

Mark I tried your suggestions as recommended and still the system would not
boot up. after reading the links I see you were dealing with the memory
leak issue, and I don't recall if that message stopped presenting after
reboots or not, I wasn't looking for that. I have since deleted and
re-cloned the functional 12.04 in the place of the failed upgrade. Is there
any modification we should try on this clone before another upgrade
attempt? In another direction, Mythbuntu, the other OS on the dual boot
250GB drive can't connect to the database after restoring a 12.04
mythconverge backup. I've looked in several "xml.conf" files for the
appropriate password, with no success as yet. I don't care which way we go
as long as we get to 14.04.   Daryl