[mythtv-users] MySQL 5.1 to 5.5 upgrade on Gentoo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 20 14:07:46 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 06:53 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> First of all, does the MySQL upgrade end up forcing a re-compile of
> MythTV, either directly or via @preserved_rebuild?  I'd like to know
> if I'm going to have to deal with that one.

Not saying a thing about Gentoo's build scripts--since I know nothing of
what they say--but a MySQL upgrade will never cause a need for a MythTV
recompile.

That said, a MySQL upgrade may well cause a need for a Qt (specifically
Qt-MySQL) recompile (otherwise, you may well get "commands out of sync"
or segfaults or whatever).  And, assuming you're using the same version
of Qt, you shouldn't need to recompile MythTV.  If, however, you change
Qt/Qt headers, you probably need to recompile MythTV.

So, upgrading MySQL doesn't directly cause a need to recompile MythTV.
But it may cause a need to recompile the (much-larger,
much-longer-to-compile) Qt framework.

Mike