[mythtv-users] Motherboard recommendation

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:43:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> If your system has become that complex then the time has come for you to set
> up a dedicated router box. ...

Agreed.  At some point, mixing a video device
with routing can be less than ideal.

> Something like this, perhaps:
> I run it with (free) pfSense: https://www.pfsense.org/?gui211

While pfSense is fine, and so are one or more of
the OpenWRT solutions, I prefer a platform designed
as a router with hardware forwarding.  My current
"go-to" platform for the lower end is the Ubiquity
EdgeRouter (lite or pro, depending on port/pps
requirements).  Small, low power, quiet (fanless
for the Lite). MIPS based SOC with hardware
forwarding, so there is (almost) no CPU when
running (which is good, since as a small SOC, the
CPU performance is limited).  The device runs a
vyatta derivative,  and has a GUI for many tasks,
but I tend to live in the CLI, so I cannot say how
good the GUI is for use by normal people (my
requirements are a bit unusual).  I consider it quite
good capability and performance for a $99
dedicated router.  As with all else, YMWV.