[mythtv-users] Motherboard recommendation

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 19 17:02:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:14:11 +0100, you wrote:

>On 19/08/14 15:58, Dan Wilga wrote:

>>> But this is the MythTV users' mailing list, not the lets-build-a-router
>>> mailing list so OP must be asking for a motherboard recommendation for a
>>> MythTV machine, not a router.  Right?  So let's not take this thread off
>>> on yet another *completely and utterly* OT tangent.
>>>
>> I'm the OP, and, in fact, this machine is to be used as a combined router and
>> backend. I'd like at least three Ethernet ports for the very reason Stephen
>> cited: a protected subnet, in addition to LAN and WAN.
>>
>> While I really like JYA's suggested board, I fear that it is overkill for me in
>> some areas (mostly price, extra ports, and having to buy ECC RAM.) My server
>> seems pretty modest compared to some: only 6 x 2TB media drives and 2 smaller
>> drives for the database and OS.
>>
>If your system has become that complex then the time has come for you to set up
>a dedicated router box. That way you can have as many Ethernet ports as you
>require. You can configure it to route and firewall without having to think
>about what any application is doing. That also means you shouldn't need
>firewalling in any other box.
>
>Something like this, perhaps:
>
>http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=34#jnf92-270
>
>together with one of these:
>
>http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=34#modules
>
>(Since you mentioned it, available with either Realtek or Intel chipsets.)
>
>That's more or less what I use, only it was much cheaper to buy then :)
>
>I run it with (free) pfSense: https://www.pfsense.org/?gui211

I can recommend the EdgeRouter Lite:

  http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

I got mine for NZ$181, and it is <$100 in the USA.  For a gigabit
router, that is very cheap.  It is a Debian system with a modified
Vyatta router system layered on to it, plus a web GUI.  It should
handle any Internet connection short of a full Gibit/s fibre
connection.  And if you need more ports, it has larger brothers.